Useful Links

Board index Share your Game

Share the game you are designing here and dev logs here. Get feedback from Superboss devs and community
actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

22 Series racing / Eighth Engine

Postby actionman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:12 am

We're making a MMO Racing game, called 22.

Set 100 years in the future, using the most catastrophic climate change predictions as the setting, you race in online tournaments in concept cars against other players and dangers caused by the extreme weather conditions. Strategy elements are blended with racing, as you collect resources and upgrade your care during the course of each race.

We're planning to launch a Kickstarter campaign and an early access alpha in late 2014 for PC, with XboxOne and PS4 digital downloads coming later.

Concepts:

Game:
http://www.22series.com
Engine:
http://eighthengine.com/features
Company:
http://www.goatientertainment.com
http://www.goatioutsourcing.com

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Re: 22 Series racing / Eighth Engine

Postby PhilGraves » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:20 am

Beautiful concept art. What other games will the racing be most similar to? Definitely link the Kickstarter when it's up!

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:33 am

PhilGraves wrote:Beautiful concept art. What other games will the racing be most similar to? Definitely link the Kickstarter when it's up!
The physics engine that we're using is incredibly authentic, with all the tiny bits of jargon that make a car seem real (down to tire pressures, aerodynamics, ackerman steering geometry, internal drivetrain friction, etc) so in some ways it plays like your Forza's, Gran Turismo's, etc...
But at the same time, we're making really extreme tracks (and a track editor for the players to use), that seem more like something out of Wipeout, F-Zero, or Stunt Car Racer!

Instead of just magically sticking to the track like in Wipeout though, our cars drive on the roof only using the laws of physics -- e.g. a modern day F1 car weighs about 600KG, but at speed can create downforce rougly equivalent to an extra 1200KG of mass, which when combined with gravity means that the car is being pushed into the road with a force equal to that of about a 1800KG mass. In theory, it would be possible to drive an F1 car upside down, because the downforce would become "lift" like in a plane, and when you subtract the gravity, you still have 1200-600=600KG worth of force lifting the car upwards into the ceiling!
I don't know of any F1 teams that have actually tried this, but the theory makes sense, and it works in our simulations! :lol:
The consequence though is your car's handling is much worse upside down (because you've only got 600KG's equivalent in force pushing your tires into the track, instead of 1800KG), and if you slow down too much, then gravity will overpower your downforce and you'll peel off to your doom.

Our tracks will have many different shortcuts, of different difficulties. So instead of taking the safe route from start to finish, you can try and take the wall-riding, looping, partially upside-down shortcuts instead, but by doing so you have a much higher risk of crashing.

I guess the closest would be the TrackMania series of games.

On top of the racing through, we've got a lot of elements borrowed from RTS/MOBA games, which I've never seen in a racing game before, so it's hard to make comparisons 8-)
Last edited by actionman on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby PhilGraves » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Sounds cool.

By the way, your "support now" button didn't work on your website. How are we supposed to give you money?

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks, and thanks for clicking that button :D

I just tested on Chrome and IE and it worked; it should take you to the "purchase" page here.

It might've timed out for you, because we recently moved the website from the Amazon cloud to a self-hosted server that is quite slow. We're still a long way from doing a public release and generating any kind of publicity, so we'll move the site back up to a proper hosting company when the time comes ;)

RiseandShine
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby RiseandShine » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:29 pm

actionman wrote:weighs about 600KG
force equal to 1800KG.

Maybe I should stop correcting people, but since you were right on everything else and not this, it kinda shocked me. Weight and forces are measured in newtons, not kilograms. Mass is measured in kilograms.

Leaving technical quandries apart, you should totally put this on Steam. The concepts have quite a particular style, seeing that in 3D would be interesting.
All the work you've done so far should've yielded you some more backing financially-wise, since that isn't precisely a wall of text and a couple of concepts.
I feel you guys need some more PR and more updates on your website, the last one was nearly a year ago.
http://fallingmodulegames.com <-- Our krew's page
http://riseundshine.deviantart.com/ <-- Deviantart page
http://www.youtube.com/user/RiseandShine57 <-- Youtube channel

Full auto default.

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:32 am

RiseandShine wrote:
actionman wrote:weighs about 600KG
force equal to 1800KG.

Maybe I should stop correcting people, but since you were right on everything else and not this, it kinda shocked me. Weight and forces are measured in newtons, not kilograms. Mass is measured in kilograms.
Sorry, I was keeping in in laymans terms because not everyone has taken physics classes ;)
And I mistakenly remembered 1N being the force that a 1KG weight exerts under earth's gravity, so I thought it was an apt description, but actually a ~102g weight + gravity actually results in ~1N. :oops: The units I was thinking of are kgf.

Leaving technical quandries apart, you should totally put this on Steam. The concepts have quite a particular style, seeing that in 3D would be interesting.
All the work you've done so far should've yielded you some more backing financially-wise, since that isn't precisely a wall of text and a couple of concepts.
I feel you guys need some more PR and more updates on your website, the last one was nearly a year ago.
Yeah we're not in publicity mode yet. There's basically no way of finding that website unless someone like me has handed you the link, it's all just preparation at the moment - so when we decide to "go live", we don't have to rush out and create a site suddenly.

When a game goes up on Steam Greenlight, they tend to get about 80% of their total votes during the first week (and hardly any votes after that time), so we're not going to put it up on Steam Greenlight until we're ready to launch a publicity blitz. We'll do Greenlight, kickstarter, and push a press-release out to all the gaming media at the same time.
To us, this means we need to finish modelling and texturing about 1/4 of that Antarctica track so that we can record some video footage of the game, and take some nice screenshots.
I'd also like to get the game approved by Sony+Microsoft for digital distribution on PS4/XBone before we start the big publicity push, so that people will see it as more legit ;)

We're licensing our engine to one other game developer already, who are doing PC/PS4/Xbone games, so I've already ported our game engine to those consoles. We just need approval/licensing for our own game still.
If you're into that kind of thing, we also have access to AMD's "Mantle" API, so we'll be putting out a tech-demo version of our game as "Mantle vs D3D" benchmark program, to hopefully get coverage from the PC-technology sites at the same time.

We got the site ready about a year ago, which is why the content is dated then :? Since then, I've spent the last 6 months doing the console porting of the engine, and we've been busy getting lots more art completed (and raising funding with other business ventures)... so it's a very soft launch at the moment. We're hoping that towards the end of this year we'll be actually regularly updating the website and generating publicity.

RiseandShine
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby RiseandShine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:46 pm

It may be soft now, but with all the stuff you just mentioned, you're off to be a great success if everything is executed properly. You guys have great ideas, a great team and a great basis. I don't quite agree on the console part, mainly because PC master race and a whole slew of other stuff I won't mention, to not bore anyone, but you're got my psychological and tiny financial support if you accept Paysafecards or Steam items. Because >minor

One final suggestion, though, I do think you should do the press release stuff first and shortly after Kickstart and Greenlight, because then you'd have more hype accumulated and more people waiting to contribute. Then the "hype pressure" would yield you a bigger "hype explosion" (more people would contribute at the same time and you'd get more backing out of both in the long run) It's theory, but it might work.
http://fallingmodulegames.com <-- Our krew's page
http://riseundshine.deviantart.com/ <-- Deviantart page
http://www.youtube.com/user/RiseandShine57 <-- Youtube channel

Full auto default.

Dregas
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Dregas » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 am

Reminds me of XG3 Extreme G Racing for the gamecube. Was a pretty sweet game because of the speeds you would be going and the effects on your vehicle and the backdrop.

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:11 am

RiseandShine wrote:One final suggestion, though, I do think you should do the press release stuff first and shortly after Kickstart and Greenlight, because then you'd have more hype accumulated and more people waiting to contribute. Then the "hype pressure" would yield you a bigger "hype explosion" (more people would contribute at the same time and you'd get more backing out of both in the long run) It's theory, but it might work.
Yeah we'll probably do a bunch of networking at events like GDC, Gamescom, PAX, etc in the run up to the kickstarter/greenlight too. Gotta build that hype 8-)

In other news, the office that I work out of (which is a collective of indie game developers) was on a TV news program recently :D

miyagi

Postby miyagi » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:59 am

Sounds Good and Seem Good as well
Bleach Online a Game which is based on Bleach Manga

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:48 am

Yo trudas, we're running a poll over here to get feedback on what kind of HUD we should create next week.

Preview for those too lazy to click it:

neonjackal
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby neonjackal » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:30 am

Voted for #7 but I'm not sure if it went through

Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby 1110 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:35 am

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|
Last edited by 1110 on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

ryguytheguy
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby ryguytheguy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:53 am

I don't use facebook so I don't think I can vote on the website. I thoroughly enjoyed number 7 and a few others, but number 7 was definitely the best in my opinion. Easy to see, read, and understand in that short glimpse you have to look at it because when you're going nearly 400 kph any second spent looking away from the road ahead of you could be disastrous. Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see what the finished project looks like.

Return to Share your Game