Board index General Randomness

General chat and random stuff
PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

"Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes" Discssion Thread

Postby PhilGraves » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:34 am

So what did y'all think of MGS5? A few thoughts to get us started...

- Short as hell. The side missions are good for some replay but not a ton.
- The story makes little sense, but I haven't played Peace Walker yet. :-/
- Decent controls, a lil less janky than MGS4.
- Playing with no alerts or no kills is nearly impossible. At least for me. Any tips?

I make it no secret that I'm a big fan of the MGS... but I'm still getting used to this one. How about you?

Thisisnotatag
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Re: "Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes" Discssion Thread

Postby Thisisnotatag » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:45 pm

PhilGraves wrote:So what did y'all think of MGS5? A few thoughts to get us started...

- Short as hell. The side missions are good for some replay but not a ton.
- The story makes little sense, but I haven't played Peace Walker yet. :-/
- Decent controls, a lil less janky than MGS4.
- Playing with no alerts or no kills is nearly impossible. At least for me. Any tips?

I make it no secret that I'm a big fan of the MGS... but I'm still getting used to this one. How about you?

you havent played peace walker yet?!?

At this rate should go get the mgs legacy collection (just so you can most of the mgs games on ps3).

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby PhilGraves » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 am

Yeah I've been eyeing the Legacy Collection... but it's pretty pricy. Any reason to get it instead of the HD re-release for PS3/360?

In the meantime I'm playing the original portable Metal Gear... the one for Game Boy Color! http://www.mobygames.com/game/metal-gear-solid_

Thisisnotatag
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Thisisnotatag » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:58 pm

PhilGraves wrote:Yeah I've been eyeing the Legacy Collection... but it's pretty pricy. Any reason to get it instead of the HD re-release for PS3/360?

In the meantime I'm playing the original portable Metal Gear... the one for Game Boy Color! http://www.mobygames.com/game/metal-gear-solid_

I got the legacy collection for $50 :/ idk what the price is now.

So far I am still on mgs 3 <-- still trying to beat it on European extreme.

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby PhilGraves » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is still my favorite of all of them all. The right mix of story, mechanics, rad boss fights, and sooo much sneaking!!!

Dregas
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Dregas » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Phil I can talk to you about MGS for hours. Ground Zeroes was very short, but even Kojima said himself it's just an intro to Phantom Pain. MGS5:PP is going to play unlike any of the other MGS games we've played so he felt an intro game would help break people into it. The storyline is pretty simple. Big Boss goes to South America, fights some radicals, gains an army and a base, bunch of little followers, then this shit happens.

Now about MGS5:GZ. This game was awesome as shit. Despite being the shortest thing I've ever done besides things I do to myself, it was packed with a bunch of new stuff for me to mess around with. The controls were easy and made decent sense. Comparing them to MGS4 isn't really fair, as I see MGS4 being the slowest paced game of ALL MGS games and the controls reflected that.

As far as going with no alerts and no kills, if you've ever tried to do this in any other MGS game you'll know it feels like it's next to impossible on any difficulty. My only tip for you is to take it moderately slow. I say that because sometimes you need to rush to get out of sight instead of waiting to take people out. Always take care of a guards body when you take them out, leaving anyone where you put them to sleep is going to get them found and start a caution phase which makes progressing without an alert all that much harder.

I'm pretty excited about Phantom Pain. Seeing as I've always liked Big Boss more than Solid Snake, I'm really happy I get to play a full game with him as the main character again.

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby PhilGraves » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Haha, I knew there were some other hardcore MGS fans here!

I'm still enjoying Ground Zeroes. There is a ton of stuff to try. I really like the helicopter mechanic, and being able to airlift out KO'd enemies is a really nice switch to just shooting everyone all the time. I think that's the most fascinating thing about the series... the ability to be non-violent in a world so focused on war and violence.

By the way, y'all see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOZjJ1swKJU

Dregas
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Dregas » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:30 pm

PhilGraves wrote:Haha, I knew there were some other hardcore MGS fans here!

I'm still enjoying Ground Zeroes. There is a ton of stuff to try. I really like the helicopter mechanic, and being able to airlift out KO'd enemies is a really nice switch to just shooting everyone all the time. I think that's the most fascinating thing about the series... the ability to be non-violent in a world so focused on war and violence.

By the way, y'all see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOZjJ1swKJU

Oh dude, I wish they would have let him do that thing with The End. A week long boss battle!? I knew that if you saved the game during your battle with him and waited a week before loading the game again, when you came back you'd get a codec message saying The End died of old age.

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby PhilGraves » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Dregas wrote:Oh dude, I wish they would have let him do that thing with The End. A week long boss battle!? I knew that if you saved the game during your battle with him and waited a week before loading the game again, when you came back you'd get a codec message saying The End died of old age.

Some matches of Intruder feel that long. ;-)

I love MGS3 so much. I really need to play it again. Maybe I'll get the HD version. I wonder how the controls work on the Vita. Hmmm...

Thisisnotatag
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Thisisnotatag » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:34 am

Dregas wrote:
Oh dude, I wish they would have let him do that thing with The End. A week long boss battle!? I knew that if you saved the game during your battle with him and waited a week before loading the game again, when you came back you'd get a codec message saying The End died of old age.

I had some trouble with The End when I first fought him. I would stay in FPV for a while searching for him...and when i zoom out he would be right behind me.

Dregas
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Dregas » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:36 am

Thisisnotatag wrote:
Dregas wrote:

I had some trouble with The End when I first fought him. I would stay in FPV for a while searching for him...and when i zoom out he would be right behind me.

He's really easy when you realize there are only like 4 places he actually sits for long periods of time.

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby PhilGraves » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:00 am

My trick to beating The End was to plant mines all around myself, then hide in bushes looking for him. Half the time I'd find him with my scope, the other half of the time I'd hear an explosion and see him dazed trying to sneak up me. Great boss battle... great game.

I wish MGS5:GZ had at least one boss battle. As it is now, it feels much more military-sim than crazy MGS world. But it sounds like Phantom Pain will have boss battles again. :-D

Dregas
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Dregas » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:58 pm

If I know Kojima, Phantom Pain is going to have crazy bosses.

Kahvikone
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Kahvikone » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 am

I really enjoyed Ground Zeroes. I was fully aware that it would be a short prologue. The new mechanics and controls are really enjoyable in my opinion and make the game less frustrating to play than MGS 4. It does have some replay value if you're into finding collectibles (XOF patches) or trying to get the S-rank for the missions. If you're not into that kind of stuff, then Ground Zeroes might not be for you (at least with this price tag).

I never use the tagging ability. I found it takes away some of the immersion and makes things too easy. I prefer to take it slow and to scout the areas before I make my move. A lot of people complained that the enemies see too far. I found this to be a good thing. It just makes the game more exciting for me. The new AI behavior is okay but they're still often pretty dumb. I tried breaking a camera which in older MGS games didn't cause any trouble for you. In GZ the enemies came to check out the guard tower I broke the camera in (I was trying to steal a casette tape). This change forced me to find different way to disable the camera. Causing an alarm in a closed base is very dangerous and I found this the hard way. One of the prisoners I was supposed to extract was once hit in the head by a stray bullet while I was running towards my chopper and the mission failed instantly.

Carrying enemies is so much more fun than dragging them with a humping animation. The camo they are wearing actually makes you less visible if you're carrying them on your shoulders. One of the prisoners I was supposed to extract was once hit in the head by a stray bullet and the mission failed instantly.

Thisisnotatag
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Thisisnotatag » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:01 am

Kahvikone wrote:Carrying enemies is so much more fun than dragging them with a humping animation.

But..the humping animation was like...the best part

Return to General Randomness