Useful Links

Board index Group Coaching & Productivity

Find someone to keep you in check and help make sure you finish your game or potential dev partners
RobStorm
Developer
Developer
[Stats]

Instant notes, quick entry, etc.

Postby RobStorm » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:24 am

So the most useful thing I've found by far for completing a large project is some sort of software that will support quick entry.

The quick entry idea I got from the program OmniFocus, which allows you to hit a shortcut which instantly pops up a screen that allows you to take notes no matter what program you currently have open. Write down your note, press enter and boom it's in a list for you to check out later.

There's a lot of time when we are talking about Intruder or other projects that people talk about ideas and go "Oh yeah that would be great" but never write them down. Opening up a google doc or list program is just a little bit too much work to make you want to switch screens and write something down, especially if you are in the middle of playing. With the quick entry program set up, there is no excuse whatsoever.

The set up I have is on my mac and I'm using a program called Remind Me, which allows me to write a quick entry note (after pressing command+shift+space) that gets added to the osx Reminders program. Here's a link to that https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/remind-me/id618776410?mt=12

Does anyone know of a program for Windows or Linux that will do the same thing?

TheTwelfthTardis
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Re: Instant notes, quick entry, etc.

Postby TheTwelfthTardis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 am

This is the closest thing I could find to what you were talking about: http://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/cint ... notes.html
It allows you to take notes with Ctrl+F12. The notes are saved and you can access them later.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and its free.

gurgle528
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby gurgle528 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Here's their main site too for anyone curious (or sketchy of a site called snapfiles :') )
http://cintanotes.com/

vel0h
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby vel0h » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:04 am

Not to bump this (again), but my trick is to just use Sublime Text, an awesome editor, and a keyboard shortcut. On Linux at least, I can launch the editor with
Code: Select all
subl3 <filename>
and the editor handles it very intelligently. If the program isn't running, it launches it and opens the file (Sublime Text opens in a fraction of a second). If the editor is already open, it pulls the window into focus and switches to the tab if the file is already open, or opens the file if it's not already open. So just bind
Code: Select all
subl3 notes.txt
to a key shortcut (which most Linux desktop environments let you do very easily) and you're set. Bonus points for binding different shortcuts to different notes files.

Return to Group Coaching & Productivity