Useful Links

Board index Share your Game

Share the game you are designing here and dev logs here. Get feedback from Superboss devs and community
vel0h
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

3D Engine Components?

Postby vel0h » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 am

I've done quite a bit of web, server-side, and 2D work before, but now I'm attempting to venture out into 3D game programming. I've settled on C++ with open sources libraries. Unfortunately, I can't find any engine that offers me the control I want with the components I need. All of the "engines" I've found seem to be lacking some important component, or feel too abstract. In reality, I guess I'm looking for more of a framework, something like SFML, but for 3D. I think I've settled for Irrlicht, with cAudio for sound, and irrNet, an eNet wrapper for networking. (alternatively, RakNet) However, with this approach I'm a bit scared I'll be writting quite a bit of glue code, working on making the engine components fit together, detracting from the game itself. Has anyone else had an experience like this, or have any advice to offer?

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Re: 3D Engine Components?

Postby PhilGraves » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:46 am

"Octodad: Dadliest Catch" was made with Irrlict. Here's a list of the other pieces of tech they used: http://octodadgame.com/tag/irrlicht/

vel0h
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Re: 3D Engine Components?

Postby vel0h » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:09 pm

PhilGraves wrote:"Octodad: Dadliest Catch" was made with Irrlict. Here's a list of the other pieces of tech they used: http://octodadgame.com/tag/irrlicht/

Thank you for this! While Octodad is really nothing like the game that I am looking to make, I'm glad to know that Irrlicht can be easily extended to fit the needs of the developer. It doesn't sound like they had to write a whole lot of extra code to fit all the pieces together either, as they kept using phrases along the lines of "easy to use for a non-programmer" and "with little to no prior experience."

Return to Share your Game