Useful Links

Board index Share your Game

Share the game you are designing here and dev logs here. Get feedback from Superboss devs and community
Dima
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Help!

Postby Dima » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:55 pm

Hello, fellas!
It's me... again. I want to start make a simple game, I'm new in programming. I don't know where to start, should I start making game for android or windows? And what language should I use?
I hate my signature...

Atebite
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Re: Help!

Postby Atebite » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Personally, I use LÖVE 2D. It's easy to catch onto and yet it's very capable, it's completely free and you can even commercialize your work if you want to.

The framework uses Lua, but that's fairly easy to learn, personally I learnt the basics from the official book (the earlier editions of said book is out for free online, but cover another version of the language) before breaking off and trying to do stuff on my own, I find it's way better to learn by doing when it comes to programming.

Calahagus
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby Calahagus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:15 am

Atebite wrote:Personally, I use LÖVE 2D. It's easy to catch onto and yet it's very capable, it's completely free and you can even commercialize your work if you want to.

The framework uses Lua, but that's fairly easy to learn, personally I learnt the basics from the official book (the earlier editions of said book is out for free online, but cover another version of the language) before breaking off and trying to do stuff on my own, I find it's way better to learn by doing when it comes to programming.

I'd add another vote for LÖVE 2D.

Additionally, Unity's a pretty damn good engine, and it's what Intruder is built in. It's really popular, so there's plenty of tutorials online of all sorts.
Good thing I have this sniper rifle and my good sense of stealth.

Superjj18
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby Superjj18 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:42 am

I am actually going to a camp in the summer in Seattle where my aunt lives to teach how to create and program 2d games

thevraptor
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby thevraptor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:38 am

I'd like to help, but I'm busy with my own project. However, I can make some assets for you on the side.
Lead (and only) developer of RaptorJesus Games.

Currently working on: Volliod
Game concepts

zuba2222
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby zuba2222 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:04 pm

If you want to start getting into Unity and game programming, you might want to watch a big long tutorial introducing all of the things in Unity 3D. After that, begin experimenting with different functions inside the program. Eventually you will learn more skills and you might become more fond and fluent in a certain language. What that language is, you will need to find out.
I want to change the world, but I can't find it's source code.

Intruder Playtester from: Feb. 2014

I <3 my very simple profile picture. As well as Intruder.

TehBucket
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby TehBucket » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 am

A few months late, but my 2 cents:

Skip android for now, there's too many headaches getting started setting everything up just to run/install/key apps if you just wanna jump into game programming.

Unity3d is real swell for starting but in terms of getting a handle on programming (if you're new to it) you might wanna play with a simpler medium first. There are many resources for learning the basic programming concepts (which traverse all languages), many different learning styles, but I liked https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/cs which has someone explaining concepts while demonstrating, in addition there is a programming environment exactly the same as the one the trainers are demonstrating on that you can fool with even to the point of making simple games or interfaces. You can discover many elements of game design by trying things yourself.

PhilGraves
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby PhilGraves » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 pm

This Unity tutorial is pretty great. And it works with the free version of Unity too!
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/pro ... ce-shooter

Zikel

Postby Zikel » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Learn Java and find one of the 2D game tutorials on Youtube.

Return to Share your Game