Useful Links

Board index Intruder Custom Maps & Map Maker

Come here to check out new Custom Maps developed by the community or to learn how to make your own maps for Intruder!
bloxri
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

[Custom Map] Blocside

Postby bloxri » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:07 am

Welcome to Blocside
Blocside is a CQB map for intruder that was has been in the works since Dec 2014

Objective:
Guards: Defend the package located in Rob's room from the Intruders whose role is to play as secret Valve operatives.

Intruders: Grab the source for Intruder and upload it to the MVSS (Mobile Valve Steam Server).

Play in a close quarters house with enough rooms to get lost in. Each room has its own advantage or tactical standpoint. Sit on the roof with the sniper and protect the source by picking off someone who isn't expecting it. Get up into a tree to stay out of sight in the large, open yard. This map features fast paced rounds that typical don't last long and are still fun for 1v1s. Team work is always needed for Intruder and this map is no exception. Keep your eyes pealed due to this map's dark skybox and rainy atmosphere.

Currently, Blocside is still in the works but is playable right now on Intruder. Final update can be expected on the 20th revision.
If you have any suggestions or questions just feel free to contact me.
"It's like seeing a bowl of Cap'n Crunch, plunging your spoon into your mouth only to discover that the bowl was filled not with crisp, organic milk, but warm tap water." - Evan Lahti

neonjackal
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Re: [Custom Map] Blocside

Postby neonjackal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:29 am

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see some screenshots.

bloxri
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby bloxri » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:10 pm

neonjackal wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see some screenshots.

Well why don't I just hire you to finish my forum post.
"It's like seeing a bowl of Cap'n Crunch, plunging your spoon into your mouth only to discover that the bowl was filled not with crisp, organic milk, but warm tap water." - Evan Lahti

neonjackal
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby neonjackal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

If you need to hire someone to finish your forum post then I don't have high hopes for your actual map.

bloxri
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby bloxri » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:21 pm

neonjackal wrote:If you need to hire someone to finish your forum post then I don't have high hopes for your actual map.

Thats pretty quite rude considering I'm busy with college and this map and didn't have time to make an all out forum post on it. Its simply stating that the map is playable and you can check it out yourself.

iceman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby iceman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:25 pm

I really like how the map looks- you did a great job choosing/making textures and models, and I love the little details like the fire in the fireplace and the reflective "water" in the bathtub. I haven't actually gotten to play in the map, but here's some suggestions from just peeking around:
  • Lots of the pickups aren't positioned correctly- the two iron sights in the kitchen are floating, and the riot shield is poking through the wall near the front door.
  • You can jump on the outer wall (from outside) and the wall around the hose in the back only if you crouch midjump. I don't know if you meant for people to do that. If you did, probably lower the wall a bit so you don't have to jump-crouch, and if you didn't, then raise the walls a bit. If you raise the walls, then I'd suggest either not letting people reach the outer belt or giving them ways back over the wall- once you're there, having to walk around the map is pretty uninteresting.
  • The box on the roof needs to be lowered a bit, because right now it's floating in midair. Also, I absolutely love that you can throw stuff down the chimney, and I definitely think you should give players a legitimate way up there (probably along with something else usefull on the roof, like a skylight, but just being able to safely smoke the house is pretty cool!)
  • The code on the bathroom floor doesn't really make sense and was a bit hard to find, and I'd like there to be something in the garage (and maybe another exit?)

Hopefully I'll get to actually play some rounds on the map soon, and will let you know how they went. Good work on the map so far, though!

bloxri
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby bloxri » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:02 am

iceman wrote:I really like how the map looks- you did a great job choosing/making textures and models, and I love the little details like the fire in the fireplace and the reflective "water" in the bathtub. I haven't actually gotten to play in the map, but here's some suggestions from just peeking around:
  • Lots of the pickups aren't positioned correctly- the two iron sights in the kitchen are floating, and the riot shield is poking through the wall near the front door.
  • You can jump on the outer wall (from outside) and the wall around the hose in the back only if you crouch midjump. I don't know if you meant for people to do that. If you did, probably lower the wall a bit so you don't have to jump-crouch, and if you didn't, then raise the walls a bit. If you raise the walls, then I'd suggest either not letting people reach the outer belt or giving them ways back over the wall- once you're there, having to walk around the map is pretty uninteresting.
  • The box on the roof needs to be lowered a bit, because right now it's floating in midair. Also, I absolutely love that you can throw stuff down the chimney, and I definitely think you should give players a legitimate way up there (probably along with something else usefull on the roof, like a skylight, but just being able to safely smoke the house is pretty cool!)
  • The code on the bathroom floor doesn't really make sense and was a bit hard to find, and I'd like there to be something in the garage (and maybe another exit?)

Hopefully I'll get to actually play some rounds on the map soon, and will let you know how they went. Good work on the map so far, though!

Will do pickups next update, current version is 14. Inside the one room with the door that you can jump over, its going to be fixed soon. Its just to complete that room. The box on the roof is now fixed and you shouldn't be able to get on top of the box either, even if you do there is a killbox there to ensure people follow the rules. The code for the bathroom floor is now removed and the garage has an actual purpose. Intruders must enter the garage by grabbing the code located near the truck and open the garage door from outside.

neonjackal
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby neonjackal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:56 am

bloxri wrote:
neonjackal wrote:If you need to hire someone to finish your forum post then I don't have high hopes for your actual map.

Thats pretty quite rude considering I'm busy with college and this map and didn't have time to make an all out forum post on it. Its simply stating that the map is playable and you can check it out yourself.

I considered you first response a bit rude so I replied in kind.
Maybe you should have considered mentioning the college thing in your first response instead, and did you consider that other people are just as busy as you claim to be and maybe a couple of screenshots could convince them to put some time aside and have a look at your map?

bloxri
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby bloxri » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 am

neonjackal wrote:
bloxri wrote:

I considered you first response a bit rude so I replied in kind.
Maybe you should have considered mentioning the college thing in your first response instead, and did you consider that other people are just as busy as you claim to be and maybe a couple of screenshots could convince them to put some time aside and have a look at your map?

I'm not saying anyone has to check it out, I just was saying its playable and I will finish the forum post when I am done with the map or have put out a final version. Sorry for coming off as a dick, wasn't trying to come off as that at all. No harm done. We both sounded like assholes. Cheers.

R3vo
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby R3vo » Mon May 25, 2015 2:39 am

I was playing your map as a guard and I realized it would be really helpful if you broke down the outside to different zones to help make call outs easier. Since your map is so face paced taking out your radio is a bigger risk then normal so when you go to relay info to your team you need to do it fast and I think zoning areas would make it easier to get off reliable info. You could do it another way but I would think adding different color flowers/bushes to areas of the map would be the easiest. I made a quick image to try to show what im suggesting. There is definitely a better way to split up the map but I just took 2 seconds on this.

bloxri
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby bloxri » Mon May 25, 2015 5:05 am

R3vo wrote:I was playing your map as a guard and I realized it would be really helpful if you broke down the outside to different zones to help make call outs easier. Since your map is so face paced taking out your radio is a bigger risk then normal so when you go to relay info to your team you need to do it fast and I think zoning areas would make it easier to get off reliable info. You could do it another way but I would think adding different color flowers/bushes to areas of the map would be the easiest. I made a quick image to try to show what im suggesting. There is definitely a better way to split up the map but I just took 2 seconds on this.

With the next update, Blocside will be a different map. It won't seem so fast paced but I will take this into vast consideration. I plan on making it a bit slower paced by adding a floor and some vents. Some more goodies are yet to come.

ryguytheguy
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby ryguytheguy » Mon May 25, 2015 5:34 am

I agree with R3vo. Maybe flowers as he suggested would be nice. Something as simple as Colored flowers along the wall would work great. Possibly add gravel to area red 1 or tall grass so it'd be easier to tell which side is which for newer players and the callout could then be tall grass or gravel so all the callouts aren't just colored flowers or whatnot. The blue 4 zone could be easily split up into driveway, front porch, and front yard. Color coding on the sides would probably be easiest so that'd be nice.

EDIT: I didn't realize you replied while I was typing. If anything is redundant feel free to ignore it. Can't wait to see the new additions!

bloxri
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby bloxri » Sat May 30, 2015 6:42 am

I was working on Blocside V2, essentially, with Unity 5 and had a pretty good start on it but I had to reformat my computer. That progress has now been lost so I have to start over from scratch, again. No worries, every restart is another chance to do better. I will be posting pictures of the development as soon as I can. Stay tuned.

Edit: Here is my progress so far. I've gotten the outside walls done essentially. Don't think this is the final version of course but this is just a proof of concept that I am doing this for 2 solid reasons.
1: Flexibility. If something is off by a degree, or decimal, I can edit that. If a room needs expanded, I can do that too. I received many requests about making the chimey wider so grenades and gas can be thrown down. This will be a feature. This is something I've been wanting to do for awhile now but just have not had the time to work on it.
2: Optimization. I got many many many complaints and comments about how low FPS players get while on this map. I have figured out why and I may be wrong but anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Here in example 1, we see the couch on Blocside and I'm viewing this in shaded wire frame which essentially allows me to see all the polygons that that has. For each line that you see, I believe that is a new polygon that has to be rendered every time you move. Your processor or GPU has to draw that every time the player moves either on the X, Y, or Z axis. As you can tell, just the cushions have many polygons to give them their roundish shape. Round objects are harder to emulate because of the amount of polygons needed to make them seem smooth and spherical.

We can see the wire frame just for the floor.

Here is outside on the slope thing..

This last example just goes to show how much Blocside will be optimized.

For each 3D square object, 6 polygons are rendered as supposed to a spherical object which can have 16x that amount. Expect much less spherical objects and much more modern style to improve functionality and looks as a whole. The map will feature 2 floors and a vent system. Spawns will be moved and much of the terrain will be different. I've been toying with the idea of a different skybox as well. My original idea was to have it storming and the sound of rain would be overwhelming. This idea was scraped due to the FPS issue but will consider it once I can see the improvement.

If you have suggestions or comments, feel free to message me here or PM me. I will try to respond as soon as possible.

ryguytheguy
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby ryguytheguy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:50 am

Would making the slope things triangular ramps make fps smoother? They seem to have quite a few polygons on them. Development is looking great though, keep up the good work!

Return to Custom Maps & Map Maker