Useful Links

Board index Intruder Custom Maps & Map Maker

Come here to check out new Custom Maps developed by the community or to learn how to make your own maps for Intruder!
actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

[Custom Map] QSwitch

Postby actionman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:29 am

Please post any suggestions, comments, ideas or exploit reports!

WIP wiki page here: http://superbossgames.com/wiki/index.ph ... /_Q-Switch

Description
The intruders must pull off a corporate heist in a detailed urban setting.
The guards must rely on excellent communication and make full use of the building's security systems in order to defend the packages -- including built-in motion sensors and cameras.

The Q-Switch office is comprised of:
Rooftop - Helipad, 360º views
L4 - green - Executive Suites (package location), upper roof access
L3 - red - Offices, Server room (locked - package location), middle roof access, security room (guard spawn), WIP - freight elevator access
L2 - blue - Cafeteria (keycode location), Kitchen, Lounge
L1 - purple - Lobby, Security room (weapons), meeting rooms, street access
B1 - Underground carpark, back-street access, WIP - Maintenance mezzanine, freight elevator access
B2 - Underground carpark, sewer access
Sewers - Only for the most snekky intruder :o

In addition, the Intruders can access the neighboring buildings (including rooftops, small supermarket, small warehouses, a subway train station, the sewers) in search of alternate entrances.

In play-testing so far, new players have gotten very lost (this is a large map!), often looping around in circles in surrounding areas, without actually making it into the Q-Switch office :lol:
There's lots of secret routes everywhere, so it may take up to an hour to learn the entire map, although learning the layout of the main Q-Switch building is much quicker.

Map
Click the image for a full map of every level:

Pictures

more...

Intruder's briefing:

Background
The Q-Switch group is one of the most powerful megacorporations in the world, and their corporate headquarters reflect that strength. No one has ever breached their intimidating, fortress-like compound, until now!

The intruders will have to collect key-codes and infiltrate the security room on the lower floors, and then proceed to the upper floors to retrieve one or both of the packages, before escaping via the subway or the rooftops across the street.

I was originally making this map for an FPS I was making on the HL1 engine (Move In!), which was similar in a lot of ways to Intruder. I never finished the map for that game, so I've dug it out and am now trying to finish it as an Intruder map :D

Tips and tactics
  • Each floor has a theme color: L1(Purple), L2(Blue), L3(Red), L4(Green)
  • It's advantageous for both teams to rush into L1, as it contains SMGs (Intruders don't spawn with them!) and pistols (Guards don't spawn with them!).
  • The L1 security room and the L3 security room (guard spawn) contain motion sensor panels that can give a hint as to where people are in the building.
  • The L3 security room contains monitors that switch between 9 security cameras. It's worthwhile leaving one guard behind to keep an eye on these.
  • Some intruders will spawn in the hideout, and others will spawn in the subway station. Don't panic if you don't spawn with your team.
  • Be careful in the vents and the sewers - it's easy to get lost.
  • The vents can be extremely helpful to the intruders! Some paths require a team-mate to move the elevators to a specific floor so you can use its roof to jump from one vent to another.
  • The L4 suites contain one of the packages, and are protected by alarmed laser beams. Walking through these beams will let everyone know that you're there! Use the vents to slip into the room quietly, or, get a team-mate to press the "Disable alarm beams" button in the L3 security room.
  • The L3 server room contains the other package, but is key-coded. The code is on a piece of paper in the L2 cafe. Beware, the alarm beams in the server room activate an alarm and also a chemical gas booby trap. Do not hang around in that room once the alarm has been triggered or you will soon be poisoned.
  • Do NOT take the vents into the server room unless you already know the keycode to get out, or it becomes your tomb!
  • The guard's sniper rifle is in the L4 suites, next to the briefcase (Press the "disable alarm beams" button on your way out of spawn to collect it quietly!).
  • The intruder's sniper rifle is on the roof outside their hideout (up the fire escape).
  • The L1 security room contains a "lockdown" keypad, which seals the main entrances into/out of the building. They keycode is on a desk in an L3 office.
  • Intruders have a lot of entrances:
    • L1 has 4 external doorways.
    • L2 has window and vent access from the rooftop.
    • L3 has rooftop access.
    • B1 has street access.
    • B2 has sewer access (and so does the subway station!)
    • Intruders can climb the rooftops of other buildings in order to climb onto the raised highway, and then jump to the Q-Switch roof from there!
    • The elevators let intruders very quickly move from any floor to any other floor.
    • The vents also (confusingly) link every floor together, and let you ride on top of the elevators.
  • Intruders have a lot of escapes:
    • All of the above :D
    • The L3 rooftop lets you drop down into the back street.
    • The L4 rooftop lets you zipline to neighbouring rooftops or jump onto the raised highway.
    • The L3 vents lead right out onto the main street (above the supermarket).
    • There's a hatch in L1 that drops right into the sewers.
  • If, as a guard, you realize the package is gone, it can be very hard to find the escaping intruder. Tell your team to rush to both of the capture points!
  • The capture points are the subway station (stairs next to the supermarket, or stairs from the back street), and the roof above the hideout (visible across the road from QSwitch HQ).

Features
  • 360º surrounding streets, shops, alleys, sewers - lots of ways to intrude.
  • 6 levels, linked by multiple staircases and elevators.
  • Shootable security cameras.
  • A motion sensor system built into the building, showing which floors have moving people on them.
  • Laser sensors, hooked up to alarms.
  • Opportunities for teamwork -- switches to temporarily disable lasers / motion sensors, cameras can be temporarily disabled by being shot, some vents can only be accessed by having another player operate the elevator while you stand atop it.
  • Two briefcase objectives, one locked behind a keycode door.
  • Custom shaders - like faked realtime reflections, faked HDR adaptation between indoor/outdoor, security camera displays.

Planned Features
  • Bathrooms.
  • Randomized briefcase and note locations to make you search a little harder.
  • Props throughout the level -- computers, couches, desks, chairs, kitchen, broom closets.
  • More cover in the streets and carparks (e.g. bushes in the garden boxes).
  • A security button to unlock parts of the ventilation system?
  • Extend the train platform to a realistic length.
  • Add a train that passes through the train station, and attach the capture zone to the train.
  • Make the lobby columns breakable for epic gunfights (hello Neo) :)
  • Ambient noises indoors.
  • EVEN MORE VENTS!

Planned Fixes
  • Optimization for lower-end PC's (most of the map is one mesh, defeating Unity's occlusion culling system).
  • Texture everything.
  • Footstep sounds (e.g. carpet).
  • Resize all doorways to fit Intruder proportions. Add doors to all doorways...
  • Clean up some of the death/slip zones.
  • Make the dust effect not solid to bullets! :o
  • Some of the vents/etc require a bit of trick-jumping to get into - I need to smooth these out a little so it's easier.
  • Some of the steps are too big to walk up, forcing you to jump...

Release Notes

v6 - Security cameras animate left and right, but I broke the damaged vision effect.
v5 - Fixed some more lighting bugs. Re-added the lockdown code. Added a zipline escape from the roof. Added a secret sniper spot. Added more pickups. Added cardboard boxes on most floors. Added a bunch more security cameras!
v4 - Lighting no longer over-bright. Fixed my custom shaders for Mac players (sorry, Rob).
v2/3 - Re-added lighting (it's over-bright, but there...), fixed security cameras.
v1 - Pretty new sky, L1 contains SMG's (for intruders) and pistols (for guards) to encourage both teams to secure it. Lighting is broken, security cameras are broken, lockdown system is missing, will rebake and reupload soon...
VERSION NUMBERS RESET AS OF INTRUDER v78
v11 - Temporarily made the sky plain blue instead of [missing] :o
v10 - Fixed occlusion culling (framerate issues!!).
v8/9 - Textured elevators. Experimenting with removing the option to escape by jumping off the roof or from L4 balconies. Added a lockdown panel in the lobby security room.
v7 - More textures, furniture, lights.
v6 - Much less darkness / almost finished redoing the lighting.
v4/5 - Added lights to more areas. Fixed deathzones. Server room trap no longer hilariously flings people in the air. Broke (v4) and fixed (v5) the back alley collision mesh.
v3 - Redoing lighting from scratch. WIP suite C on L4. Added doors to suite A&B. WIP L3 storage / freight elevator. Fixed cafe glass being 1-sided. More material details.
v2 - Fixed terrible performance by baking occlusion and lighting.
v1 - Welcome to unity 5! Added background scenery of a full city. More alleyways and rooftops behind supermarket. Church with sniper roof on the intruder side of the road. Raised highway going through the back-alley, level with Guard spawn room. Above-ground car-park has stairs leading to the back of the building. The L3/L4 stairs near the server room now continue to the rooftop. Rooftop helipad (maybe another escape option in the future?). L3 IT room connects to rooftop. L3 rooftop extends around to the back alley / cafe roof. Maintenance floor squished inbetween B1 and L1. Many more vents (e.g. kitchen, roof air-conditioners). There's now truly 360º access to the QSwitch building.
VERSION NUMBERS RESET AS OF INTRUDER v51
v29 - Quickly fixed missing polygon. Maybe optimized some things...
v27/28 - More vents! More textures! Added a screensaver to the security monitors for performance reasons. Added 2nd motion sensor display to L3 guard room. Added a button to reboot the motion system (temporarily disable it). Added built-in alarm lasers to L4 suites and L3 server room entrances. Added a button to temporarily disable the lasers in the L3 guard room. Added a rope-entrance to the L3 server room. Added a death-trap to the L3 server room - don't stick around after tripping the laser beams in there! (don't ask how the gas slams you around like that; it was the most foolproof deathtrap I could make at the moment..._
v26 - More vents for intruders to infiltrate the upper floors with. New carpet shader. More textures. Made elevators more solid (shouldn't ragdoll thru them!). Gave the lobby security room bullet-proof glass.
v24/25 - Fixed front door sometimes being half locked. Added some special effects - fHakeDR, dust in the lobby air, corrupted camera display when shot.
v23 - Fixed elevator speeds (they now always move at the same max speed, whereas before they always arrived within the same max time -- faster for longer trips, slower for short ones).
v22 - Updated briefing notes. Throttled camera updates to ~5 FPS, to hopefully help with performance.
v21 - Small dumb briefing fixes.
v20 - Added notes and a map in the intruder spawn to help new players.
v19 - Added notes in the guard spawn areas to help new players. Fixed elevator collision problem. Fixed a few elevator door problems.
v18 - Added a built-in motion sensor panel in the lobby security room. Fully implemented both elevators.
v17 - More textures! Smoothed out more stairs! Added spark effect to garage camera as well.
v16 - More textures. Smoothed out some of the staircases so they're easy to walk on now.
v15 - Shiny new lobby floor. Camera emits sparks when disabled. Increased camera recovery time.
v14 - You can shoot the security cameras to temporarily disable them for a few seconds. Added security monitor shader, and camera model.
v13 - WIP elevator can now travel between L1<->L2 and also L1<->L3 (todo: L2<->L3, L3<->L4, basement levels...)
v11/12 - Prototype security cameras.
v10 - Outdoor ambient sounds, prototype elevator! (only in one shaft, only visits levels 1 & 2)
v9 - Parked cars, more labels, more vents.
v8 - Started putting labels on the rooms.
v7 - Added some cubes, slip zones and death zones to solve most exploits for now. Removed water level, added ladder zone in sewers so you can actually sneak in that way!
v6 - Added some vents between security and roof.
v4/5 - Adding materials, fixing broken geometry.
v3 - Fixed server room keycode.
v2 - Added lighting
v1 - Initial upload

Features for map makers
A prefab of the QSwitch security cameras can be downloaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zjslhf37wkfs ... Pnsqa?dl=0

Massive thanks to everyone who's tested the map with me 8-)
Last edited by actionman on Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:05 am, edited 88 times in total.

thasin
Demoted
Demoted
[Stats]

Re: [Custom Map] QSwitch

Postby thasin » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:29 am

Nice map, breakable columns would be a nice touch :D
rip racists

Rekedens
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Rekedens » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:23 pm

So far it looks awesome dude

FleshyPig
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby FleshyPig » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:32 pm

greatest custom map so far apart from oceanside of course >:D
there are a few glitchy spots which need fixing

dax
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby dax » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Very fun and good map, when there enough players. As you've said, HUGE map. Looking forward to the updates, cause its pretty much just empty white rooms now :lol:

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Re: [Custom Map] [WIP] QSwitch

Postby actionman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Working on the elevators and security cameras now 8-)

R3vo
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby R3vo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Finally got to play some semi serious rounds on it, the map is huge so there is a learning curve but all the rounds were pretty fun even though I was lost half the time :P

ldshadowlord
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby ldshadowlord » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:06 am

Can there be physical objects for the camera, so we can shoot them out or something? I think that would be nice as the cameras are really irritating for the intruder.

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:40 pm

ldshadowlord wrote:Can there be physical objects for the camera, so we can shoot them out or something? I think that would be nice as the cameras are really irritating for the intruder.
From testing so far, the map was very intruder-sided, so I've always wanted to put security features into the building to help the guards. I think it's cool for teamplay too if it's worthwhile for 1 guard to stay behind to watch the cameras (and report what he sees via the radio).

That said, the cameras are very powerful so I'm testing out your idea, thanks! :D
In the next update, you'll be able to temporarily disable the cameras by shooting them. We can tweak the amount of time they're disabled after playtesting a bit more.

Here's a preview: http://gfycat.com/ThickScrawnyGalapagosalbatross

[edit] this feature is live in v14!

Rekedens
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby Rekedens » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:38 pm

I approve of that idea, and you pulled it off very well!

ldshadowlord
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby ldshadowlord » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:51 am

Some other irksome things. Not all the stairs in the staircase from the basement garage to the lobby are the same size, so some you can walk up and some you can only get up by jumping. And something I think would be cool, can we get some little bars on the outside of the Q Switch building so we can maneuver around the building on the outside. By this, I mean in a similar vein as to the Riverside map in B1 with all of it's lips.

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:21 pm

I've started playing around with some actual textures and shaders. Hopefully have another update with some of these new materials soon :D
Old floor material -
New floor material -

zombiekillerpl
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby zombiekillerpl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Omg looks amazing! I've played some matches on your map, it's looking very good!

neonjackal
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby neonjackal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:49 am

Already mentioned a couple of these to you personally, but I figured you might want them here as well as a reminder.
The lighting seems to flicker in some areas.
The doorways are too low, i hit my head on them consistently while running.
There's a slip-zone outside near a employees only entrance/exit which left me in a spot between a fence and the wall which I couldn't get out of.

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:22 am

Added a briefing to the intruder spawn to help new players learn the map 8-)
The Q-Switch group is one of the most powerful megacorporations in the world, and their corporate headquarters reflect that strength. No one has ever breached their intimidating, fortress-like compound, until now, genelemen.
Their building is guarded by PMC's and their security system is advanced, so do not take this job lightly.

One advantage we have, is they prefer to keep as little hard evidence of the internal goings on as possible, so the only security cameras are external. These cameras are armored and self-correcting, but a well placed bullet should still give you about 5 seconds of blind time in order to get past them.

Once inside, there is no avoiding their motion detection system (besides standing perfectly still); all we can do is gain access to it's control room and deny their guards from seeing it's display.

The information that our client wants you to deliver is stored inside their locked Server Room on Level 3 - an inside man will help you gain access.
Alternatively, Executive staff have on-site residences on Level 4, which may hold personal information, to be gathered at your discretion.

Once the information has been secured, exfiltrate the area via our hideout's rooftop, or via the subway tunnels.

Be sure to study your individual briefings.

Mr Blue:
Your job will be to enter the ground floor and secure the Lobby Security room.
The building's motion sensor network is controlled from that room, so it is vital that we control this information.

Mr Green:
Work with Mr Blue to secure the ground floor. Our inside man will ensure that security codes for the Server Room have been left in plain view. Find and secure these codes and then regroup with Mr Pink.

Mr Pink:
Gain access to the sewers via the nearby subway station. From there, there should be a manhole leading to the QSwitch basement.
Wait for Mr Blue to secure the motion sensor panel, and then use the elevator to access Level 3.
Once on Level 3, gain access to the server room using the code delivered by Mr Green.
If Mr Green fails his mission, proceed to Level 4 and search for anything valuable in the executive suites.

Mr Black:
Move to the rooftop outside the hideout and provide overwatch in case QSwitch deploys snipers of their own.
Once our men are inside, head through the supermarket and secure the back door for exfiltration purposes.
Last edited by actionman on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryguytheguy
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby ryguytheguy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:35 am

Just finished playing a few rounds with kil, and it was great! The motion sensors are key to intruder success. I can't wait until it is finished.

Are some intruders supposed to spawn in the subway? This was happening after a while of playing.

actionman
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby actionman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:25 pm

ryguytheguy wrote:Just finished playing a few rounds with kil, and it was great! The motion sensors are key to intruder success. I can't wait until it is finished.

Are some intruders supposed to spawn in the subway? This was happening after a while of playing.
Yeah, half the spawn points are in the hideout, and half in the subway, so it's supposed to be 50/50. The idea was that if the Guards rush the roof to pin down the hide-out intruders, they can get flanking support from the subway intruders. Was it helpful, or harmful to have the intruder team spawning spread out?

The game at the moment seems to pick one spawn point for each person and only ever spawn them there until they disconnect/reconnect though... I'm not quite sure how it works.

ldshadowlord
Agent
Agent
[Stats]

Postby ldshadowlord » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Just an idea, wouldn't it make sense to change what the door code note says and hang it in the security room, as if the security guy kept forgetting it? It would make more sense to me. Just a thought.

dongers7878
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby dongers7878 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:25 pm

Pretty swell map. Trying to get the package out of the building is always a laugh.
Keep up the good work, really inspiring stuff.
Fight me

ryguytheguy
Advanced User
Advanced User
[Stats]

Postby ryguytheguy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:08 am

actionman wrote: Was it helpful, or harmful to have the intruder team spawning spread out?

It was very helpful. It allowed us to attack from two different angles without taking so long to disperse. Great choice in splitting the spawn.

Next

Return to Custom Maps & Map Maker